|Earned a shirt but not the medal.|
Independence Triathlon that happened on June 5 in Lake Nockamixon, Pennsylvania included a 1/4-mile swim, 10-mile bike, and 2-mile run. I didn't race but I helped instead.
I volunteered to help for 3 reasons:
- Fulfill my 2016 promise. One of my goals this year is to help in at least two race events. This was my second race, but I'm not done yet.
- Support my friend who was participating in the event.
|There were 3 waves:white, red, and blue caps.|
Here are 9 things I learned today:
- So that's how a transition area looks like.
- If you wear glasses, always bring it. I expected to assist at a water station but plans changed on race day. I ended with registration and OMG, I couldn't read the text on those race packets. I quickly moved to shirts, and later gave out the finishers medals.
- Swimmers must wear caps. This event provided free caps and they were color coded: white for men, red for women, and blue for anyone racing with a friend.
- You can swim anyway you want to. I saw someone doing the backstroke today.
- Participants start changing their outfit as soon as they end swimming. They slowly take off clothes while running to get their bikes.
- Running shoes are ok for biking.
- Bikers may not have to worry about traffic, but must beware of speed bumps.
- Flat tires and wipe outs can happen even to seasoned triathletes.
- I didn't see any participant wearing head phones at any time.
I've read a lot about triathlons and watched videos, but being in the event as a spectator or volunteer was an incredible experience. There was so much adrenaline and emotion. I witnessed first timers consumed with joy at the finish line, seasoned racers who finished real strong and others who wiped out and got up.
Of everything that took place, the most beautiful I've seen was the phenomenal dedication of a father to his son. This dad raced all the way with his handicapped son.
|Moving from swim to bike.|
With today's experience, I feel more relaxed about my upcoming race. On August 16, I will conquer my first triathlon, that's 1/2 mile swim, 13.6-mile bike, and 3.1-mile run.
Have you volunteered in a race?
Have you volunteered in a race?
My Tri training this week included:
Tues - 4.13 miles to celebrate my 4-year runniversary
Wed - 45-min. pool drills, 32-min biking, and 1.5-mile run
Fri - 3-mile run
Sun - 3 miles
I totally get the feeling of a volunteerer's high and even a spectator's high. Before I started running longer distances I would watch my sister run the Disney races. I even volunteered at the Marathon one year. It was truly one of the most exhilarating experiences ever!ReplyDelete
I think all athletes should try it at least once.Delete
Thank you for this post! Rspecially the things you learned list. The Du I was doing this month has been merged into the Tri! I'm clueless about all of this and certainly not trained for the swim. I will be one doing a back stroke! The pictures of the Dad with his son gives me chills. Good luck as you continue to train for your tri! Thanks for linking.ReplyDelete
Thanks Holly. Hope you didn't have to pay extra for the swim =DDelete
Since I've been running haven't yet volunteered but I do want to. I think your right you can relate to the competitors so much!ReplyDelete
It's a great way to make new friends =)Delete
I've never volunteered at an event, but I think it would be a fun, rewarding experience. I imagine you can learn a lot by watching others compete too.ReplyDelete
If you get a chance, try to be the person awarding medals.Delete
Flawless and amazing online journal!ReplyDelete
base training running
Great post, and great website. Thanks for the information! mlb schedule on tv & reddit mlb streamsReplyDelete
Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info. the websiteReplyDelete
Thank you so much for such a well-written article. It’s full of insightful information. Your point of view is the best among many without fail.For certain, It is one of the best blogs in my opinion. crackstreamsReplyDelete
Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting?I have read a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style. Thanks a million and please keep up the effective work. moreReplyDelete
Please continue this great work and I look forward to more of your awesome blog posts. read moreReplyDelete